Leaf peeping near Big Sandy Lake remains a Northern Minnesota “rite of passage.” Every autumn, Aitkin County’s lush forestry transforms from a dazzling emerald shade to vibrant hues of marigold, amber, and kelly green, with crimson-clad trees sprinkled into the fold. There are dozens of unique ways to commemorate autumn’s official arrival. To ensure that your upcoming stay is nothing short of colorful and splendidly comfortable, we’ve compiled 20 quintessential fall activities in Minnesota.
Fall Activities in Minnesota: Pumpkins, Hikes, and Sunsets
Piecing together a handy list of potential fall activities in Minnesota is equally amusing, nostalgic, and challenging. After all, you don’t want to thoughtlessly omit anything vital to a classic fall getaway. Big Sandy Lodge & Resort, one of the top-rated romantic getaways in Minnesota, proudly embraces fall’s chills, particularly after a sultry summer season. At our four-season lakeside resort, guests rarely shy away from a new outdoor adventure. While Big Sandy Lake is widely accessible to the Twin Ports and Twin Cities, our little slice of Northern Minnesota heaven feels like a million miles away from civilization. Helpful hint: Remember to bookmark this article to receive instant access to these 20 fall activities in Minnesota.
- Rent a cabin—duh!
- Share ghost stories around a raging bonfire
- Hook a walleye on Big Sandy Lake
- Go for a hike at Savanna Portage State Park
- Set out on a classic fall drive
- Paddle into Big Sandy Lake’s nucleus at high noon
- ATV through the backcountry
- Craft a tray of fall cocktails
- Make a fall-y playlist with indie tracks from Sea Wolf, Lord Huron, and S. Carey
- Hop into the pontoon at dusk
- Master a fall recipe
- Play 18 holes of golf
- Carve a pumpkin picked at Peaceful Pines Farm or Knife Lake Farm
- Toss the football around, then watch the Minnesota Vikings stomp an NFC North rival
- Purchase a growler of autumn-flavored beer at Moose Lake Brewing, Cuyuna Brewing, or 14 Lakes Brewing
- “Snap” head-turning autumnal Instagram pics
- Plan a picnic at Rice Lake National Wildlife Refuge
- Play “How to Host a Murder” in your cabin
- Survive the corn maze at Andersons Rock Creek Relics
- Savor a pumpkin spiced latte at The School House Cafe
The Best Lake Resorts in Minnesota
Perhaps the most important aspect of an autumn-flavored escape to Minnesota’s sprawling “North Country” is the overnight accommodation. It’s critical to feel comfortable, relaxed, and pampered during your annual autumnal woodland getaway. Thankfully, we boast a fleet of affordable yet modernized Big Sandy Lake cabin rentals, villas, and guest rooms. “Common” amenities and luxuries include spacious decks, full kitchens, fireplaces, on-site laundry, flatscreen televisions, and a bevy of recreational rentals. Remember to bring a camera, some marshmallows, an adventurous spirit, and an appetite! Book directly online to avoid hidden, third-party fees (or call us today at 218-426-5040).