Temperatures are rising, and summertime in Minnesota is taking off early. Now is the perfect time to cool off and escape to one of the great Minnesota lakes with the family. There are so many fun things to do in Northern Minnesota, and they can all be found at Big Sandy Lodge & Resort. A family vacation with us is the best way to get outside and appreciate the area’s diverse nature. Big Sandy provides ample opportunities for fun things to do in Northern MN, including fishing, swimming, and hiking. Drive to the quaint town of McGregor, MN, and spend your family vacation on the water to kick off the summer season.
There are activities for the whole family available on-site at Big Sandy. Spend a day with the family splashing in the pool or competing in sand volleyball. Here is a list of the activities you can enjoy right at the lodge.
- Kids Dock Fishing
- Water Trampoline
- Indoor Heated Pool, Hot Tub, and Sauna
- Sand Volleyball
- Tot Lot Playground
- Savanna Portage State Park: This historic state park has over 15,000 acres to explore. Visit the Continental Divide Overlook, where the water divides and flows into the Mississippi River and Lake Superior. Or take the family for a leisurely walk around Loon Lake; this is also an ideal spot for swimming.
- Rice Lake National Wildlife Refuge: Drive along the 14-mile wildlife loop and look for eagles, loons, swans, black bears, bobcats, beavers, and more! This drive is an easy way for families to view wildlife. Make sure to stop at the refuge headquarters to view educational displays and learn more about the refuge.
- Fishing Big Sandy Lake: Embark on a day of family fishing on Big Sandy Lake. The lake is best known for its walleye, northern pike, and black crappies. There are also three rivers that flow into Big Sandy Lake, where you can fish for bullheads.
- Recreational Rentals: We here at Big Sandy Lodge have partnered with Your Boat Club to provide you with rentals for a fun day on the water for the family. Rent a pontoon or fishing boat for the best way to explore Big Sandy Lake. You can also rent kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, or aqua trikes right from the lodge. Make reservations by calling 218-426-5040.
Lakeside Retreat at Big Sandy Lodge
Located two hours north of the Twin Cities is a perfect family getaway at Big Sandy Lodge. Relax on a pontoon rental with Your Boat Club or drive to Rice Lake National Wildlife Refuge to spot local waterfowl. Your family will have a blast jumping off the water trampoline and splashing in the water. Head to Northern Minnesota and immerse your family in an unforgettable outdoor vacation. Our cabins are great for families, with fully equipped kitchens, fireplaces, spacious decks, and laundry rooms. If you have any questions or would like to make a reservation, call us at 218-426-5040.